Popular British musicians Elton John, Harry Styles, and Adele have declined an invitation to perform at King Charles III Coronation Concert, which will take place on May 7, 2023, at Windsor Castle.
The event was expected to feature other big names in the music industry such as The Spice Girls and Ed Sheeran, but they too declined the invitation.
According to The Sun, the musicians cited their busy schedules as the reason for their refusal to perform. Adele and Ed Sheeran were the first to decline the invitation, while Elton John and Harry Styles are currently on tour and were unable to free up their schedule for the event.
The Spice Girls, on the other hand, initially showed interest in performing at the event, but ultimately turned down the invitation without giving any explanation.
Despite the setbacks, the organizers of the event are reportedly working tirelessly to put together a lineup of impressive performers. However, they are facing a number of challenges in securing top-tier artists for the concert.
“Organizers are working against the clock to put together a compelling lineup of musicians, but they are facing a series of challenges,” a reliable source told The Sun.
Elton John, in particular, is said to be at the top of Charles’ list of favorites. However, due to his European tour and the Windsor concert, which requires him to perform in Germany the Friday before the coronation, he is unable to attend.
Meanwhile, Harry Styles, who is currently the “man of the moment,” is also committed to his tour and unable to gather his main band members, who will be on a much-needed break.
Despite the refusals, there are reportedly several musicians who have accepted the invitation to perform at the event. These include Kylie Minogue, Take That, and Lionel Richie, among others.
Take That, in particular, is said to be a potential headliner for the concert, as they were already a favorite of the British Royal Family. They previously performed at a concert for Lady Diana in 2007.
This is not the first time that musicians have declined invitations to perform for the Royal Family. Prior to this event, both Harry Styles and Adele also declined invitations to perform at Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee concert, which celebrated her 70 years on the throne.
The concert, which will be held outside Buckingham Palace, will feature other artists such as Queen and Adam Lambert, Rod Stewart, and Alicia Keys.